I have trained in Modern Arnis, a Filipino Martial Art, since 1998. It has been around since at least 1957 when it was introduced to the public by the late Professor Remy A. Presas. There are many elements to Modern Arnis including stick work, joint locks, ground controls, knife defence, empty hands,and espada y daga. It’s not just a martial art; it’s a great self-defense system! Along the way, I have also trained in Balintawak (Groupings and Atillo), have attended a number of seminars with FCS Kali and Kali Illustrisimo.
Many Filipino Martial Arts utilize similar training methodology as Modern Arnis. Some may differ in emphasizing the blade more than the stick. Still others emphasize different ranges in their system such as largo, medio or corto ranges.
Regardless of what you find, there are numerous reasons to try Filipino Martial Arts! Here are 10 reasons!
Ten Reasons to try Filipino Martial Arts!
1. Filipino Martial Arts is a very individualized martial art. It’s not a cookie-cutter martial art. Techniques are individualized to ensure that it is effective for YOU.
2. Look cool like Jason Bourne! Matt Damon trained in Filipino Martial Arts while preparing for his roles in the Bourne movies.
3. Training with sticks and blades is a lot of fun! The attributes that you gain from stick and blade training translate well to empty hand self-defense.
4. Learn to “go with the flow.” Learning how to “go with the flow” helps a person remain calm under pressure, whether it be a physical or verbal confrontation, professional life, or family life.
5. Meet new friends: Since FMAs leans heavily toward partner based training, this is a great way to meet and make new friends!
6. Practical: Due to the broad base of concepts and techniques, the practicality of Filipino Martial Arts for self-defence is unparalleled! It’s a great way to learn to protect yourself. Sticks, knives, and empty hands offer a broad range of skills.
7. You learn instantaneous problem solving: Progressive counter for counter techniques involve problem-solving and critical thinking, attributes that come in handy in real life!
8. No Muscle Needed: Filipino Martial Arts teaches you balance and body manipulation so “muscling” a technique is not necessary when facing a larger opponent.
9. Ambidexterity: Ambidexterity is emphasized in some FMAs. We train both left and right hand, thus training both sides of your brain!
10. Increased Confidence: When you learn how to defend yourself through Filipino Martial Arts, your confidence will soar!
Over to you, can you give other reasons to train in Filipino Martial Arts?
If you or your child are interested in enrolling in Filipino martial arts classes in the Durham Region (Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa), Bamboo Spirit Martial Arts is the place!
For information on adult classes, click here.
For information on children classes, click here.
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com or text me at 905-924-3764.